The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey first time posting here just wanted some information from the informed people of this fourm.

So basically I felt I was suffering diabetes like symptoms a few weeks ago and started to eat healthy and eventually I went to see the doctor.

I only had one blood glucose test which was two hours after eating and the result was a 4.8 which my doctor said was perfectly normal and providing symptoms didn't persist I shouldn't worry.

and in the weeks after there was no frequent urination (basically 3-5 times per day.) and I didn't find myself extremely thirsty. I was also able to keep up playing football and working out and never finding myself lacking the energy to do either.

But lately I have noticed my vision is getting a little worse and now bright lights start to hurt my eyes and I have trouble focusing very hard.

Bascially my question is does this all sound like it could be connected to diabetes? I was thinking of doing some blood glucose tests of my own.

Reading the over it sounds a little bad but I am a bit of a hypocondriac sometimes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If your blood sugar was normal, (which sounds like it was 2 hours post meal) and you're not having any symptoms of frequent urination and extreme thirst then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Were you having these symptoms prior to going to the doctor ( I know you said you were showing some signs/symptoms)? As for your vision problems, diabetes usually doesn't affect the eyes until your sugars have been consistently high for awhile.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, flintus. Sounds to me like you can rule out diabetes pretty firmly - you have no symptoms that I recognize. This prob'ly indicates that the vision problems are NOT diabetes-related. So I think the next doc you need to see is an ophthalmologist. They are fully-trained doctors specializing in eye disorders, and can give you a much better diagnosis than we can!

Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
930 Posts
hypocondriac

hypocondriac ? get yourself a glucosemeter at Walmart and start playing doctor on yourself, a great way to learn what is going on inside you. :)

Hey first time posting here just wanted some information from the informed people of this fourm.

So basically I felt I was suffering diabetes like symptoms a few weeks ago and started to eat healthy and eventually I went to see the doctor.

I only had one blood glucose test which was two hours after eating and the result was a 4.8 which my doctor said was perfectly normal and providing symptoms didn't persist I shouldn't worry.

and in the weeks after there was no frequent urination (basically 3-5 times per day.) and I didn't find myself extremely thirsty. I was also able to keep up playing football and working out and never finding myself lacking the energy to do either.

But lately I have noticed my vision is getting a little worse and now bright lights start to hurt my eyes and I have trouble focusing very hard.

Bascially my question is does this all sound like it could be connected to diabetes? I was thinking of doing some blood glucose tests of my own.

Reading the over it sounds a little bad but I am a bit of a hypocondriac sometimes.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yeah I am with Jim!

Testing AFTER you eat -- 1 and 2 hours -- will be MUCH MORE informative!

I say this, because:

a) in January 08 I had SEVERE influenza -- possibly viral pneumonia. Nobody else in the family got as sick as I did.

b) in July 08 I went to my MD and complained of feeling JUST LOUSY. Some mild short-term memory loss, my husband had expressed concern. Had a sleep study, nothing wrong there.

c) in January 09 I was hospitalized, DKA. My MD said, "But, your FBG was normal, in July." (BTW, it was exactly one year later that guidelines in the US were changed to recommend A1c test over FBG).

An HBA1c test would also be more revelatory than an FBG ... and apparently you did not have one. Go get a cheap meter.

ETA: It is well-established that post-prandial number degenerate first -- long before fasting numbers do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
4.8 2 hrs after eating? Thats pretty much spot on perfect so personally I dont see any point in buying a meter. This is ofc assuming you ate a food with a highish number of carbs in it. As was pointed out previously you really should be seen by ophthalmologist. There are lots of causes of eye problems and given your blood glucose test was low and you have no other diabetic symptoms I think your energy is best directed elsewhere. You could ask for an oral glucose tolerance test but given what you have already said about your previous random test 2 hrs after food I don't think its necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for all the helpful posts I bought my own glucose metre and ranged between 4.4 and 5.5 over two days testing two hours after every meal so things should be fine. (Though I woke up with a 4.8 and was 4.4 two hours after breakfast which I found odd but is surely not anything to worry about)

I do worry about these things a bit too much but you were all still very helpful and I wish you all good luck.

·
Registered
930 Posts
flintus

flintus

almost everyone here moans about this "Sunrise Effect" {your body pumping more glucose into your blood in anticipation of changing from a sleep state to an active waking state} screwing up their otherwise pretty chart. it's just your body doing what it is supposed to do. if your body does not do this you may be lethargic for a couple of hours after you wake up until your body can shift gears to a waking state.

Thanks very much for all the helpful posts I bought my own glucose metre and ranged between 4.4 and 5.5 over two days testing two hours after every meal so things should be fine. (Though I woke up with a 4.8 and was 4.4 two hours after breakfast which I found odd but is surely not anything to worry about)

I do worry about these things a bit too much but you were all still very helpful and I wish you all good luck.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Insulin tablets are usful for type 2 diabetes.
Unless this is something new...insulin does not come in tablet form. You can only inject it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unless this is something new...insulin does not come in tablet form. You can only inject it.
Well there is another inhaled insulin being trailed but its more aimed at type 2s, think its for type 2s that just need a small extra boost. They also have ideas using nanotech to make insulin a tablet. They cant do it at the moment as the stomach breaks down the insulin but they are talking about new methods where you coat the insulin in something else that is then removed once it enters the blood stream leaving behind the insulin(I think that will be a loooong time coming).

·
Registered
204 Posts

Hi Flintus - It's good to meet you!

All the results that you quote above are perfectly normal - i.e. levels that you would expect to find in a non-diabetic person.

Just try to keep keep your levels in the normal range of approximately between 4 and 7 (70 and 130) by watching and adjusting your diet and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

Good luck and best wishes - John

·
Registered
204 Posts
You might not be aware of the fact that insulin tablets do exist and you can confirm it by Google search.
Hi Angelina,

However, the article from India does start with the phrase:

"It may be still far from reality,........................"

Best wishes - John

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You might not be aware of the fact that insulin tablets do exist and you can confirm it by Google search.
Well...I did go to goole just in case I missed some new breakthrough treatment...the only thing I can find is reports of some pills in early clinical trails, nothing has even come close to being successful for release. So...if there is one available, I sure cant find it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts