Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Worried

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Horsewhisperer 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here, this is my first post :wave:

I have a one-year-old daughter and I am worried she might have diabetes. She has been drinking a lot more lately, and lots of very wet nappies. She wakes at night screaming until I give her some water, which she guzzles.

I had gestational diabetes with her and was on insulin from 7 weeks. I also have a brother with type-1 diabetes.

She is my first baby, so I have no idea what is normal, could this be diabetes? We are going to the doctor today for her 12-month immunisations, so I will ask then, but wanted advice from other parents as I have noticed first-time mums can be dismissed by doctors as neurotic sometimes.

Any advice/opinions appreciated

#5 ·
I don't know where you are. Perhaps it's hot weather bringing on the thirst.

But I'd still ask for the blood test.

Please let us know how you're both doing!

#6 ·
Update

I went to the doctor, he was not hugely concerned at this point. We have to do a urine test to start with.

Thanks for your replies eveyone, I am feeling a bit less worried now, there are probably lots of reasons why this could be going on! Maybe I am a bit neurotic :eek:

Now to figure out how to get a one-year-old to pee in a cup...

(Also, I am in Australia, it's winter here, so it's not overheating)

#7 ·
Don't stress

I went to the doctor, he was not hugely concerned at this point. We have to do a urine test to start with.

Thanks for your replies eveyone, I am feeling a bit less worried now, there are probably lots of reasons why this could be going on! Maybe I am a bit neurotic :eek:

Now to figure out how to get a one-year-old to pee in a cup...

(Also, I am in Australia, it's winter here, so it's not overheating)
Hi Sweetmum,

I thought dr would have given you a urine bag makes collecting sample easier:) How long has bub had the excessive thirst and wet nappies?? As can be due to over heating even in winter especially if you are covering the head Let us know how you go:)

#8 ·
those bags are designed for boys lol um girls dont have a doodah to put in the bag lol always made me laugh when the doc gives them to girls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.