The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if eating 2 small meals in place of dinner, an hour or two apart, would be better than eating a dinner sized portion all at once. My thinking is that my body would have less carbs to process, therefore less insulin to make all at once.

Any information is appreciated, as I was only diagnosed a month ago, & sadly I never gave it any thought before (even though I knew it was coming eventually)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
A lot of times diabetics will do better with several small meals spaced through day. Personally, I tend to be a "grazer" so I eat several small meals a day on a routine basis.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome - I like picky & finger foods best, & I hate how groggy I feel after eating a big meal, so this is good news for me :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Awesome - I like picky & finger foods best, & I hate how groggy I feel after eating a big meal, so this is good news for me :)
The trick is to be sure those small meals are snack sized,,,not full meal sized :) *Thats* where I need a little work sometimes :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm a grazer too, and I keep the carb content to a minimum, to avoid that grogginess that comes with eating large carby meals. It has worked well, and I've lost a little weight to boot, but can't get under 200 either . . . :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Grazer? What a nice way to put it!!!

I'm not so kind to myself. My eating starts at dinner and continues all evening long. Lately, I've been testing two hours after dinner, so I take a break from food for that long. I've called myself an habitual over-eater, a problem I've had all my life. Five years ago, I took off 60 lbs and managed to keep it off, by trading pastries for fresh fruit.

Now I should gain at least 7 lbs, so I can rationalize my "grazing." :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
My question is, if you are "grazing" is your bgl staying elevated? What is better, to stay elevated with no ups or downs, or to eat and let your bgl drop to a lower level for awhile before eating again? I have always wondered about that.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My question is, if you are "grazing" is your bgl staying elevated? What is better, to stay elevated with no ups or downs, or to eat and let your bgl drop to a lower level for awhile before eating again? I have always wondered about that.
My grazing is strictly confined to low or zero-carb foods, so there's no elevating. I keep hard-cooked or deviled eggs, hot wings, beef sticks & lotsa cheeses (even celery sticks are splendid when loaded with cream cheese! :D), which are essentially zero-carb. Nuts of various kinds have replaced candy in the candy dishes. Raw almonds are a tremendous "free" snack because they take a LOT of chewing and you really feel like you've eaten something! heheh! So when I say my fasting is usually the highest reading I get all day, it's because I just don't eat carbs. Only protein & fat . . . full fat cheeses, full fat cream/sour cream, full fat mayonnaise, pure dairy butter & olive/coconut oils. What carbs I get are from the high-fiber foods I eat like spinach/broccoli/cauliflower, leafy green salads (with full fat homemade bleu cheese dressing! ;)) and I'm a sucker for edamame . . . can eat the whole bag . . . :faint2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is a REALLY good point, & now I'm also curious
I'm thinking if I space my small meals about 2 hours apart, there should be enough time for my bgl to get back to (or at least close to) normal.
Also, because I'd be eating smaller portions more often, it wouldn't raise as high, so it would take less time to come back down
Although I'm still completely new to all of this, so I could be wrong. I'd love to find out how it works though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts