The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

First of all, I would like to know that I'm not much of an active guy. The only walking or exercise I do is usually in university when I am going from class to class or walking with friends, but after that, it's always just in my car or at home.

I don't play any sports, but I do like to go to the gym and do some cardio and weight-lift sometimes.

I made some research about the Pump regarding those aspects, and I found-out that it might not be the best option for me, at least when I'm at the gym. Other than that, it sounds great.

I have a few questions that I really am looking for answers to, because they'll decide whether or not I should jump-ship and go for the pump:

1) How long does the needle stay inside your body until you change it? And is there a certain size depending on your belly size, for instance?

2) If I want to take a shower or a swim, for instance, do I just unplug the pump from the attached needle, cover it with an anti-water protector, and then shower normally or do I have to take the needle out and then re-inject myself with another one after I'm done? That's a real deal-breaker.

3) I understand I should change the site of the needle every three days, but does that mean my belly would swell up a lot or is it just sort of a red scar that goes away in a short time?

4) How often do you change the insulin tube (the one containing the liquid)? Or does it depend on how much insulin you use? And what's the price range of one? I pay around $5 USD for the normal 3ml Actrapid tube.

5) Do I set exactly how many units of Insulin to inject myself with or does it do that automatically depending on how much you eat?

6) I don't really play any sports and I'm not an active guy, but I like to hit the gym sometimes and do a little treadmill running, weightlifting, belly pressing, and push ups. Would I be able to do that while the pump is inserted?

7) Is there a certain pump brand/kind I should use? I don't know exactly what is available in Egypt, but I'm pretty sure I can get one from abroad if that's what it takes. However, I'll have to ask which insulin tubes are available here, although I hear almost any, if not all, tubes are compatible with all pumps.

I'm 1.70cm tall and 73kgs weight. I'm a bit over-weight and would like to lose 7 - 10 kgs in order to be in a good shape. I was wondering if the pump can help me achieve that with a good exercise and a decent diet. Notice I used decent because I don't really have any will power and I love sugary stuff and fast food. However, I'm willing to follow a diet that my nutritionist will give me on Saturday in order to lose the weight and help maintain a healthy life-style for the first time ever.

Thank you, guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say.. I heard that the mio Infusion Set was the best, smallest, and least-painful pump out there. Is that true?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
1) How long does the needle stay inside your body until you change it? And is there a certain size depending on your belly size, for instance? The infusion set should be changed every three days to prevent scar tissue. the belly size has nothing to do with choice of needle or infusion set.

2) If I want to take a shower or a swim, for instance, do I just unplug the pump from the attached needle, cover it with an anti-water protector, and then shower normally or do I have to take the needle out and then re-inject myself with another one after I'm done? That's a real deal-breaker. Yes, just disconnect, without removing the needle. The needle stays in your body during a shower. I do not cover it with a protector, but some people do.

3) I understand I should change the site of the needle every three days, but does that mean my belly would swell up a lot or is it just sort of a red scar that goes away in a short time? I have not experienced swelling in my four years of pumping. If you are allergic to the tape on the infusion set, then there could be some redness. There are products you can buy to take care of that so the allergy would not bother you.

4) How often do you change the insulin tube (the one containing the liquid)? Or does it depend on how much insulin you use? And what's the price range of one? I pay around $5 USD for the normal 3ml Actrapid tube. The needle, tubing and reservoir containing the insulin are all part of the infusion set, and it should be changed every 3 days. The price would depend on which pump and which infusion set you chose.

5) Do I set exactly how many units of Insulin to inject myself with or does it do that automatically depending on how much you eat? You tell the pump what your glucose test is, and how many carbs you are going to eat. The pump will tell you how much insulin you need, and then it will deliver that amount. The pump will also take into account the number of units on board from a previous bolus.

6) I don't really play any sports and I'm not an active guy, but I like to hit the gym sometimes and do a little treadmill running, weightlifting, belly pressing, and push ups. Would I be able to do that while the pump is inserted? I go to a gym three times per week and I am doing carpentry work on my house. I do not remove my pump for these activities. It stays in a pouch attached to my belt, and is very secure.

7) Is there a certain pump brand/kind I should use? I don't know exactly what is available in Egypt, but I'm pretty sure I can get one from abroad if that's what it takes. However, I'll have to ask which insulin tubes are available here, although I hear almost any, if not all, tubes are compatible with all pumps. Each pump usually has its own kind of infusion sets. I use the Minimed Medtronic pump and the types of infusion sets for that pump cannot be used for other pumps. Maybe there are exceptions, but I am not aware of any.

I'm 1.70cm tall and 73kgs weight. I'm a bit over-weight and would like to lose 7 - 10 kgs in order to be in a good shape. I was wondering if the pump can help me achieve that with a good exercise and a decent diet. Some people find pushing buttons before eating so easy that they are tempted to eat more frequently than before pumping. Then they gain weight. I did not let that happen to me. i have lost weight by reducing my carb intake to an average of 130 g per day. You must use will power to resist eating the wrong kinds of food. Portion sizes is also very important.

Notice I used decent because I don't really have any will power and I love sugary stuff and fast food. However, I'm willing to follow a diet that my nutritionist will give me on Saturday in order to lose the weight and help maintain a healthy life-style for the first time ever.

I recommend the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. Many people have used it while learning to pump effectively.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so, so much for your thorough reply. I guess I'm going to pay my doctor a visit and get the pump. I'm not sure which models are available here, but if I find yours I'll get it. Thanks again, man, I really appreciate it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts