Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Would this work?

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  onaughmae 
#1 ·
Im trying very hard to get my #S in the "normal" range this time--its my 4th set of 12 and 2 hr blood tests in a yr!!!

I read somewhere if you excerise after you eat and before you go for the 2 hr blood test this can help get your #s down

any thought on this?

also with the 12 hr starvation test I read thats its the last 30 days of the 3 month period that has the greatest impact on the test.

I dont have to have this done until the middle of July but I already watching what I eat very closely

as always any advice or tips are appreciate

by the way I joined this great site a few weeks ago under dznypal but I forget my password--when I tried to have it emailed to me they was no record of the address so I registered again as Penn

#2 ·
You are also registered here as dznypal55. The account dznypal was deleted with your own permission because two user names are not allowed. Now do you want to be dznypal55 or Penn? If you can't remember your password, write yourself a hint somewhere to help you recall. Keep in mind that if your intent is to post links or send Private Messages, those options are not available until you reach a certain minimum number of posts under the same name.

#3 ·
I am not sure what 12 hour starvation test you are referring to. What exactly is that?

#4 ·
I read somewhere if you excerise after you eat and before you go for the 2 hr blood test this can help get your #s down
Do you want to know what your numbers are so you can get proper medical advice and treatment Or do you want to to be below a certain number?

also with the 12 hr starvation test I read thats its the last 30 days of the 3 month period that has the greatest impact on the test.
I think you mean the fasting test. and yes it is weighted to the last month. It checks to see how much sugar you have attached to your red blood cells (I think its the red ones). Your red blood cells live for 3 months so you have more younger red sells.

#6 ·
I think you mean the fasting test. and yes it is weighted to the last month. It checks to see how much sugar you have attached to your red blood cells (I think its the red ones). Your red blood cells live for 3 months so you have more younger red sells.

What was I thinking:eek: I called it the fasting test and described the A1C test.

The fasting test (starvation test) tests you Blood sugar levels when you dont have food. This is to see how well your body controls its sugar (not control of food sugars) that is the 2 hour test.

#5 ·
If you are referring to the A1c....there is no need to fast for that test. It doesnt test your blood sugar at the time its drawn, it tells you an average of the last three months. No need to fast for that test.

#7 ·
Ok, I was getting the impression from her post that she thinks she needs to fast for an A1c.

#8 ·
If by "starvation test" you mean that you must fast for 12 hours before the test, it is a different test from the 3-month one. The test which covers a 3-month period, but which the last month weighs slightly more heavily is the A1c, and you do not need to fast for it (or "starve" however you understand it best).
Fasting is required for a fasting blood sugar (obviously), and it's also required for a lipids test - lipids being anything connected with your cholesterol.

#9 ·
thanks for all the great responses--Im learning so much!!!

Sorry I was confusing you about 12 hr starvation test and, 3month and 2 hr after eating--what happens with me is my dr does do chlestrol and blood sugar tests all on one day so

first I have to starve for the 12 hrs and have a blood test taken--I guess this is mostly for chlestrol and is there such a thing as fasting blood sugar then they tell me to eat and come back in 2 hrs hope this clears this up although the replies do help alot

Im trying to get my #s in the "normal" range--Im close--last one was in Jan and I was 104 12 hr and 106 after eating--

I am killing myself trying to get my #s normal--I dont have to go on insulin or meds--although following what Im told to do isnt fun either

Im not enjoy eating at all--most of the time I dont eat Im so parniod the #s are going to go up!!!

I try excerising treadmill--I call it a gerbil wheel!!! work so hard and get no where!!! and Im taking a water arobics class--and I cant seem to lose any more weight!!! also not eating much

Im such a mess

Thanks for listening!!!

#10 ·
I think those numbers look good really. You are doing a good job, so pat yourself on the back.

Yes, the fasting is for the cholesterol and fasting blood sugar readings. You are correct in that the A1c is an average of the last months. Its the best result to show how you are doing in the long term.

Exercising is good and its great that you are being really dedicated to it. it is showing in your good numbers :) I am willing to bet you will see this reflected in your lab results when you get them :)

The weight loss will come naturally from your change in eating habits and regular exercise. Remeber that it might not seem fast enough for you becasue you are likely building healthy muscle along with losing fat. Be patient, it will happen :)

#13 ·
I just got a meter its a one touch ultra mini

now I have questions--do I have to buy test stripes none came in the kit

what does coding mean--the dircetions talked about coding and I have no idea!!

here I was all set to see some readings today since I was off and watching the time would be easy to do

thanks for all the help and encouragemene

#14 ·
Yes, you need to buy test strips. Sometimes if you have insurance, and you get a prescription for them, your insurance will cover part of the cost. Your meter should have come with a book on how to use it. There will be a section there on coding your meter. Each batch of strips you use will have a code on the container. The code on the container has to match the code set in the meter so your results will be accurate. Your instruction book will tell you how to do this, it is quite simple, dont worry.

#15 ·
There are other meters out there that require no coding but many do and onaughmae described what you need to do. The One Touch is a premium strip and they cost about $1 per strip. Many insurance companies help cover the cost if you have a prescription.

#16 ·
thanks for the info--I did find the section on coding--it does seem easy enough--now Im pretty sure where the blood goes!!!( I hope!!)

now another ? what is this solution that the directions talk about?

Is that something that I have to buy separate?

I thought that these kits have everything you need to get started

Ill let you know what the #s are when I can get the rest of the supplies

thanks again for all the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.