The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was feeling "left out" and there's this last little bit of fudge left over from the holidays. It looked so good I had a teeny taste. I thought it was so small as not to be anything to be concerned about, I had this little segment maybe the size of my multi-vitamin. Like 1/12th of a small piece...

I just grabbed it, let it melt in my mouth... kinda swirled it around in there for full effect, and felt quite satisfied...

45 minutes (or so) later I took my 2hr post-supper glucose reading... OMG it was 15.6! (And supper was one burger patty and veggies, which has proven for me to be very low-impact)...

Is this a freak thing? Or does even a little (very refined sugar) actually spike Type2's that much? It's the first sugary-anything I've had in like 19 days...

thanks,

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would first have to ask if the finger you used for testing was the one that handled the (yummy) fudge? Or had you handled other food with your hands?

Not that this is the cause, just trying to figure if that could have been the answer. You might have had a small increase, but I doubt if you would have had this large of an increase without help.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would first have to ask if the finger you used for testing was the one that handled the (yummy) fudge? Or had you handled other food with your hands?

Not that this is the cause, just trying to figure if that could have been the answer. You might have had a small increase, but I doubt if you would have had this large of an increase without help.
No, I pretty much only test with my left hand. I'm right handed so that's what I ate the fudge with.

Unless there was something else that did it.

It went down again pretty quick, too.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sorry for your smackdown, AB . . . and I agree with Bob - I think that's too big a leap even for fudge! I discovered this week that my lotion hand soap has honey and white sugar in it, so I'm no longer using it for washing before testing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I once got a reading of 203, which I didn't believe. Had not just washed my hands, merely assumed they were clean. Washed them and immediately retested. Result in the 90's. Taught me a good lesson.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I once got a reading of 203, which I didn't believe. Had not just washed my hands, merely assumed they were clean. Washed them and immediately retested. Result in the 90's. Taught me a good lesson.
OK, maybe considering the rest of my readings throughout the day, there may have been some contaminant that caused it.

I'm glad you guys are here, I'm learning a lot and quickly.

You're awesome. :cool2:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry for your smackdown, AB . . . and I agree with Bob - I think that's too big a leap even for fudge! I discovered this week that my lotion hand soap has honey and white sugar in it, so I'm no longer using it for washing before testing. :rolleyes:
Yes, I would certainly look at other things than the fudge. I sometimes have reading that surprise me and I have to think a bit about them. I wouldn't even have thought about what was on my hands if it hadn't been for the 2 posts I quoted.

With practice you get a good idea of how much 10 grams of carbs will spike your bg. If it's in fudge, it won't spike them any more than in whole grain pasta. (bought from a health food store :) )

And I don't know how you stopped at a tiny piece. When I was into sugars, I would decide to just have a tiny piece of the cheesecake in the fridge. Next thing you know wham the whole cheesecake was gone.

It was a lot more simple, and a lot more fun to just walk in knowing that there wasn't even going to be any left to lick off the plate when I was through with it :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
what was your BG before the fudge? without that reading cant say what the fudge did.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what was your BG before the fudge? without that reading cant say what the fudge did.
Yesterday's readings:

Fasting: 10.9
1Hr Post Breakfast (didn't test)
2Hr Post Breakfast 11.1
1Hr Post Lunch (didn't test)
2Hr Post Lunch 10.9
1Hr Post Supper 11.2
2Hr Post Supper 15.6 (reading about 40 mins or so after fudge)
1Hr Post Snack 9.4
2Hr Post Snack 8.8

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...And I don't know how you stopped at a tiny piece. When I was into sugars, I would decide to just have a tiny piece of the cheesecake in the fridge. Next thing you know wham the whole cheesecake was gone.
I'm quite OCD... when I decide to do something, it's pretty much 100%

In some cases, that's a good thing. In others, not so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts