The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I need :help:

Did you ever use yacon syrup in a recipe before? Is it a bit like agave nectar? And where did you buy it? I'm having problems finding it!

I found a yummy looking recipe using yacon syrup and I really REALLY want to try it : gingerbread men cookies!!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
You may try here though there may be restrictions on shipping to Canada.

Reactions: Scarlet Phantom

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may try here though there may be restrictions on shipping to Canada.
Thank you very much for the link! :)

I am making this recipe for a few people who are gluten and dairy intolerant but are not diabetic. I will try to count carbs in this recipe though, as I am very curious how much would each gingerbread man have.

I keep hearing agave nectar and yacon syrup are the new sensations as far as cooking for diabetic goes. Don't know if that is true.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
All you can do is test, test, test. Your meter will tell you if they're any good for you. I tried agave, but my meter said nope.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All you can do is test, test, test. Your meter will tell you if they're any good for you. I tried agave, but my meter said nope.
I didn't use to think this way but now I think my meter is my best friend :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't know about Yacon syrup but agave has the same carbs as sugar. I haven't seen it in any of our stores either. You could always sub in another sweetner. I always go to Gluten Free sites for my recipes and just sub out the sweetner to something I have. I think I have seen ginger cookies.

Healthy Gluten Free Recipes | Elana's Pantry
Comfy Belly

·
Banned
13 Posts
How do you find fructose levels?

How does one figure out the fructose of something like yacon syrup ?

Thank you very much for the link! :)

I keep hearing agave nectar and yacon syrup are the new sensations as far as cooking for diabetic goes. Don't know if that is true.

I used to be big fan of agave because I love sweet things and thought it was a healthier alternative safe for diabetics, but Dr. Gabriel Cousens warned me off of it. He said that although it has lower glycemic index, it is very high in fructose and something else.

I was in denial about the agave for a while, but gradually realized that when I consumed agave, I would feel like I had taken a shot of expresso (I don't drink coffee)and the hyperactive/shakey feeling would last for hours.

I do have some yacon syrup -- it is available at many raw food websites and well-stocked health food stores. It tastes a little like molasses. I have not used it that much, but was told it is a pre-biotic, meaning it provides food to the good bacteria in your digestive system, and it is marketed as low glycemic.

Another product the raw food community has embraced as low glycemic alternative to agave is Jerusalem Artichoke syrup, which also tastes to me a bit like molasses. But I have no idea what the fructose level is. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts