The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to kick start myself into Ketosis and have felt bummed and doing what is right. I even cut out all fruits because I eat to much fruit. I joined My Fitness Pal to help track fat, versus protein levels and of course carb levels, I have low carbs so I don't worry about them as much. Today I finally got off my lazy butt and went and got Ketostix, tested as moderate which means I am much happier knowing. I tend to be a prove it person lol, I can take visual results better even though I know I am doing everything correct.

Anyone else use the strips, what would you consider a reading to be unhealthy? Just curious, I am bumping up to 4 a week spin classes, it is a tough workout burning 800 to 1000 calories per class so, I don't want to cause damage and my doctor and nutritionist are still adjusting to the fact I am a diabetic and not doing 120 grams of carbs a day. They really do hate when you go, you do know I'm a diabetic, right? :p

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Since the sticks measure only excess ketones - the ones thrown off in urine after your body has used all it needs - even lower levels indicate ketosis.

And you just keep proving to your medical team that you are indeed thriving without all their damnable carbs! :cool:

·
Registered
547 Posts
IMHO, there is only one correct method of measuring properly where you stand regarding Ketosis. You measure quantitatively the Ketones [ as Beta Hydroxy Butyrate] in your blood with a meter ex Freestyle Optium . Its true that the electrodes are a bit expensive, but once you have determined your correct Ketogenic carb-protein -fat ratio and stick to it ,then you dont have to test "every Monday and Thursday".

FYI, these electrodes or test stips cost between 3-4 $ each over here.

*** The Freestyle Optimum meter also measures blood glucose , but with different strips.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I used the test strips when first trying to get into ketosis. I was expecting the darker, the better. I've sense learned that even the slight or moderate readings verify you are there. I've never been able to get the darker shades.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the test strips when first trying to get into ketosis. I was expecting the darker, the better. I've sense learned that even the slight or moderate readings verify you are there. I've never been able to get the darker shades.
I thought the same things nick but I was curious and got tired of reading the fine print of the pamphlet and figured heck, ask the people who know. My next question is, does captain Morgan and diet knock me out of ketosis lol. :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
One thing I'm wary of is that the pee-strips won't work once you become "keto-adapted" (i.e. have LCHF long enough that you don't produce the excess ketones). So that means in a couple of years (because I'm still losing fat, I expect it to take a while longer for me) I will not really know if I've inadvertantly fallen off the ketosis wagon, or I'm still in a safe zone.

Yes, the blood measurement is the "gold standard," but I'm definately considering that breath ketonix!

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
When I use the stix, I measure first thing in the morning. If my reading is large, I usually try and increase my water a bit throughout the day. Other than that, I don't worry too much about it, as long as it's showing some type of color.

@ Jade - I have been eating LCHF for more than a year and they still show for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts