The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doc told me I joined the club whether I wanted to or not so here I am.

Newbie. Fasting glucose came in at 192. A1C at 7.7. Since that time I've been making swiss cheese out of my fingers for readings. And if you're reading this and you've been a lifelong club member, you have my utmost respect. I waited until I was in my 60's to join. 235 lbs on a 6' frame.

Starting Metaformin. From what I understand you have to ease into it.. because it eases out as well.

Good news, insurance covers up to 50% of Libre Freestyle. I have a month's worth on my countertop. We'll save that adventure for the weekend.

Goal - lose weight, get off meds. control by diet - if that's possible. I'm open to all suggestions, ideas, comments, tips and tricks. To everyone, best wishes - IMHO - we don't get to choose the cards we're dealt... we can only play the hand.

Cheers
23Silver

·
Administrator
2,146 Posts
Welcome, 23Silver! Yeah, pretty much all of us here are in the club. But it's a supportive group; I hope you'll like it here.

A few suggestions:

- Metformin comes in standard and extended-release versions. Just know that the ER version may be easier on your digestive system, so if starting off on regular Met is tough, that may be an option for you.

- As for testing fingers, you can pick fingers randomly for the test to spread out the fun. And always choose the sides of the fingers (if they haven't told you that); fewer nerve endings than the fingertips. Some meters can do alternate-site measurement, too (arm, upper thigh, etc.) though those readings are not as responsive as the ones from fingers. For a well-controlled diabetic, that's not a huge deal; for someone treating a hypoglycemic episode, it's a consideration.

- And the control by diet part: lots of us have realized that if our bodies have trouble managing carbohydrates, then maybe dumping 150-200 grams of carbs a day into our bodies and then relying on drugs to regulate it all (the Standard American Diabetic Diet) might be the best idea. Our bodies don't need so many carbs; it can learn to create the needed glucose without them. You might want to consider a low-carb or ketogenic eating plan. Here's a good resource for seeing what that entails: dietdoctor.com .

And, of course, you can look around this site and learn a lot and ask questions about the things you don't see discussed. Hope to see more posts from you soon...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, greatly appreciated.

I've already started to cut carbs last month to lose weight before I was diagnosed. So definitely very little or no sweets. Very limited carbs. Tonight was chicken breast and veggies. Stivea with plan yogurt. I've been eating fruit, but I also know there's sugar in it...so I'll have to see how that effects me.

Yeah.. I kinda figured finger sides are better than tips. I'm going to stick on a Libre this weekend and try that out. Also thinking of grilling... Kabobs and other goodies.

I must admit (and I told my doctor this as well), I am totally bummed. But I've come to the realization -- either deal with it or pretend reality isn't real. So it's a good chance to work on the diet. Get the gym, walk, ride.. whatever. Next a1c is in three months.

I'll see how I tolerate the Metiformin. Doc has me ramping up slowly.

Best wishes to you and good numbers too!
Cheers,
Greg

·
Administrator
2,146 Posts
I must admit (and I told my doctor this as well), I am totally bummed. But I've come to the realization -- either deal with it or pretend reality isn't real.
I was diagnosed years before I chose to take it seriously. Sometimes it just takes the right mindset, and that includes all those stages like denial and bargaining. It looks like you have the tools to take this seriously and do good things. I hope we can help you with that.

·
Super Moderator
10,017 Posts
Hi 23-Silver, welcome to the forum.

I can ditto what itissteve told you.

As far as goals, mine is to manage my BG with diet and exercise and a minimum of meds...and yes, it is possible. My A1c before diagnosis was 8.8 at 55 years old. My A1c has been 5.2-5.3 for several years but I have slaked off some on the strict adherence to my keto diet and my A1c has eased up to 5.6.

I feel like finding out I was diabetic was really a good thing. I started paying better attention to my health and feel like that may have saved my life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Steve, Buster. I started the Metaformin and it definitely wacks the stomach. Pharmacist said to give it some time and it'll get better.

And no denial won't change things, neither will bargaining. I have a good doc and know pretty much what to eat. Tomorrow I'll start on the Libre. That should be interesting to see what foods trigger spikes. Doc told me he had a patient who could tolerate fruits with the exception of cantalope. He was on a Libre and watched his blood spike on certain foods.

I've been getting 117 readings in between meals. Mornings are still 130s. It'll take time. On the good side a co-worker mentioned I'd lost weight. That's a nice thing.

Cheers,
Silver

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi 23-Silver, welcome to the forum. Glad you found us, but sorry you had to! You've come to a good place for support and knowledge.
Thanx Eherea. The club also has Tom Hanks, Sonya Sotomayor, George Lucas, Sharon Stone, Elvis, Drew Carey and a bunch of others. In the immortal words of Groucho, I ought join a club and hit you with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts