The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here. I was diagnosed with diabetes in March 2008. After being diagnosed diabetes have been one of my top concerns. I have been lucky enough not to need insulin shots or medications. I know I can't survive on luck alone, so I have changed my diet and do exercise regularly.

After being diagnosed with diabetes, for me it was life-altering. I first was scared and didn't know what to expect. I knew nothing at that time about diabetes. After learning more about diabetes I soon realized that there is still life with diabetes.

I worked as an engineer with a software company for many years, after three months of being diagnosed I felt the extreme need to quit my job so I can focus on my health. There was no good life/work balance because my job was high stress and came first in my life. In the beginning it was difficult for me, but I later started my online business. I am also owner of Diabetes Battle, the pulse of the diabetic community. It tracks syndicated news and blogs around the websphere which discuss topics related to diabetes.

I think quitting my job was one of the best choices I've made to help me manage my blood sugar levels and take care of my health. I've been feeling much healthier and able to manage my diet/exercise program much better. I guess you can say I am sort of an advocate for diabetics to start their own business, because the high level of management needed to take care of your condition doesn't fit well into many work schedules. So for me it's either being an advocate to start your own business or push to pass a bill that make labor laws diabetic-friendly (4-6 hour workdays for full-time diabetics). I couldn't imagine the latter, so it left me with being an advocate for diabetics who want to start their own business.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks for your introduction Drew and welcome to our community! I retired several years earlier than I had intended due to my diabetes. I have now lived 63 years wth type 1 diabetes and I am very healthy. I appreciate your online efforts to help other diabetics. That is great!

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Drew :D, WOW that's dedication to your health and that's a huge step forward and welcome to our happy site where you will get help in this often confusing disease. Being happy is the first thing to do as this will help change the way you do things. ;):eek::bounce:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts