The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a constant yeast infection since the first week of January. I have tried several over the counter creams, 7 Diflucan pills, yogurt, peroxide, and take 3 pro biotic pills per day. I currently am having sugars in the high teens. My doctor keeps telling me it is from the sugar. I am o.k with that but I need to do something for the side effects until I get my sugar under control. I am on 2000mg Metformin and 21 units of Lantus at bed and 10 units of Lantus in the morning. Has anyone had this same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? This is getting to the point that I can not even sleep at night anymore.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have had a constant yeast infection since the first week of January. I have tried several over the counter creams, 7 Diflucan pills, yogurt, peroxide, and take 3 pro biotic pills per day. I currently am having sugars in the high teens. My doctor keeps telling me it is from the sugar. I am o.k with that but I need to do something for the side effects until I get my sugar under control. I am on 2000mg Metformin and 21 units of Lantus at bed and 10 units of Lantus in the morning. Has anyone had this same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? This is getting to the point that I can not even sleep at night anymore.
I had similar problems last year when my blood sugar was high. One Diflucan is all it took to clear up my infection. I was totally miserable. I thought I would go insane with the itching. It sounds like you have tried just about everything. Are you on any rapid acting insulin at mealtime? If not, you might want to ask your doctor about adding this. I only take Lantus in the late evening but my dose is much higher than yours, I am insulin resistant. You may need to increase your Lantus by a couple of units every 3 days until your fasting blood sugar is around 120 or 6.5. Hopefully, you can get your blood glucose down and some of the itching will subside. I will keep you in mind and if I can think of anything that you can try to help with the itching, I will let you know. Hang in there, relief is on the way!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
I went to my doctor again today and he has prescribed another 14 pills of diflucan. He said to take 1 per day for as long as I need it. He also increased my morning insulin by 2 units. I am to increase by 1 unit every 3 days until I get down to 6 - 9. I am not on a fast acting because he does not beleive that my high sugars are related to what I am eating. He also told me to have my husband take a diflucan as even without symptoms he may be passing the infection back to me. Hopefully this works.

:) :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I am not on a fast acting because he does not beleive that my high sugars are related to what I am eating.
Ummm . . . very puzzling. The C-peptide was several years ago, right? Have you ever been tested for GAD antibodies? Your new medical team needs to step up to the plate and do the tests required to determine your diagnosis so they can get on with prescribing proper treatment!

Sometimes we need to dig in our heels and stand up to our docs . . . make them listen. You've been trying to manage this for four years now, and not making a lot of headway . . . something's gotta give! Getting your levels down will make a huge difference, and the sooner the better! I hope you can start rattling a few cages!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks.
I went to my doctor again today and he has prescribed another 14 pills of diflucan. He said to take 1 per day for as long as I need it. He also increased my morning insulin by 2 units. I am to increase by 1 unit every 3 days until I get down to 6 - 9. I am not on a fast acting because he does not beleive that my high sugars are related to what I am eating. He also told me to have my husband take a diflucan as even without symptoms he may be passing the infection back to me. Hopefully this works.

I hope that the added doses of Diflucan helps clear up that infection. There are tests that can be run to see if it is truly yeast that is causing the problem. I think you can buy the kit OTC. Great to hear that you are going to increase your Lantus. It took me about 4-6 weeks to find my best dose of Lantus. I still have to adjust it up or down occasionally. If your doctor doesn't think that your high blood sugar is from eating, then I wonder what he thinks is causing the increases? Even if you were T1, I would think that eating would still increase your blood sugar. And if you were T1, you would need mealtime insulin. I am T2 so I don't know as much about T1. We have a couple of moderators who are T1, hopefully they will log on to the forum soon and read your posts and can give you some better advice on T1. If it were me, I would try and get your fasting blood sugar closer to the 6 range. If you aim for 9 then you will be in the 160's (USA) and that is still too high. I would still have urinary and yeast problems with a fasting number of 9. I know that when my blood sugar was in the 200's there were times when I had no symptoms but was at risk for complications. Even minor complications can become a nuisance and especially if they affect your eyes/vision.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
SOunds like somethign I was going through last year. One yeast infection after another that I just couldnt get rid of. I just kept taking diflucan for a few days of relief before it would come back again. I used yougurt also....just be sure it says it has "live active cultures". Honestly the only thing that finally got rid of them was getting my blood sugar under control.

I am not sure how your blood sugar can not be being affecting by what you eat. Anytime you eat it impacts your blood sugar, even if you are eating "correctly". Whether you are T1 or T2 shouldnt matter in this regard. If you need insulin, you need it. Obviously you are not able to cover your body's need without it. I am T2, and I didnt get control until I added a fast acting insulin to cover my meals. My body is simply not producing enough anymore. Hopefully increasing your Lantus will help get it down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks.

It is always good to treat both partners for yeast infection so that reinfection doesn't occurr. What you can also do is stay away from tight fitting clothes and only wear cotton underwear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jackie, I agree with Pam when she said "Honestly the only thing that finally got rid of them was getting my blood sugar under control."

Granted, I don't know much about yeast infections and didn't even realize men could have them too until reading this. But, higher sugars does weaken the immune system.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a couple of points that I found because I suffered from yeast infections a great deal when I was your age Jackie, and it was only through watching a documentary on TV that they said a man should make sure his penis is "clean" in other words that it has been washed before intercourse takes place, making sure that the forskin is pulled well back when washing.It made a difference to my life as my husband was not very good in the cleanliness department - not that I am inferring that it applies to your husband.

In laters years when I started to have similar problems, the doctor found I needed a short course of eostrogen to put matters right. This was a cream used internally.

I also drink cranberry juice which I feel keeps the kidneys functioning well and have had no further problems - so far!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeast Infection

Hi Jackie. I was finally diagnosed Type 2 from my constant recurring yeast infections. Getting your blood sugar under control will help, but in the mean time, try Yeast Arrest by Vitanica. I keep a 2 week supply on hand for when an infection pops up. It has worked for me and has saved me numerous costly office visits. Hang in there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts