The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become too complacent. Wake-up call time.

My CSA box arrived today so I cooked veggies from it. I made an onion/tomato/cabbage saute/stew that I grew up on, baked the yams and mixed with plenty of butter, and roasted the beets. Now, I don't like beets so I've not tested with them, but figured even though they're sweet they're good for me (I seem to have learned nothing) so had a single small one with some balsamic. Didn't love it, just choked down the 3 bites.

Most of my dinner was the cabbage, a small helping of yams which I've tolerated (when it was the only carb!), and the beet.

I wash my hands 2 hours after, thinking I should've tested at one hour cuz this was an usual dinner for me - no meat, not lots of fat, etc.

168!!! I've not seen a number like that since March, maybe late February a couple wks after dx. Yikes! Quickly poke again the other hand - 197. WHAT?! Should I do test solution? Is this real? Break out the free Bayer Contour I got a month or 2 ago - 166 ... test on my Aviva from the same drop - 165. Well, at least they agree :rolleyes:

I cannot imagine what my 1 hour number was. Those are rarely over 120/125.

My numbers have been so consistent, with no crazy surprises, but then I've not lost focus like tonight. Maybe I'm angriest at all that if I was going to blow it, I'd've liked to have blown it on something worth it, not a stupid beet and a few large bites of yam.

Reactions: wdmama

·
Registered
235 Posts
My numbers have been so consistent, with no crazy surprises, but then I've not lost focus like tonight. Maybe I'm angriest at all that if I was going to blow it, I'd've liked to have blown it on something worth it, not a stupid beet and a few large bites of yam.
The Yam consist of 18.7 grams per 1/2 cup and beets 5.7g carbs for 1/2 cup

Maybe is the Yam ? Plus beets have higher glucose or furtose in it?

Thats why it spikes your BG levels?

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
235 Posts
Beetroot has the highest sugar content of any vegetable, however, it has a moderate glycemic index and can be included as part of a healthy diet.

Beet root 80g - GI = 64
Yam GI = 74

I guess both are middle to high GI food.. maybe that cause you to have spike in your BG..

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Based on an Anonymous Diabetic's experience, it was probably the combo of beet plus yam. The tomatoes and onion might have topped it off, even if they're usually OK. Recently, Somebody Nameless had a similar experience with canned tomatoes, peas and carrots.

Hate those inadvertent splurges! But I guess we ... er ... some folks all do 'em.

(And why can't it ever be something sinfully scrumptious? I guess it's because we're on the lookout for those!)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Aw Moon - I get being totally hacked off that it was dumb beets & not a chocolate eclair or something devastatingly decadent! Hope you shake it off & have a decent fasting in the morning.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Moon's experience would seem to agree with those of us who find the glycemic index useless. Not that it need be for everyone. That's between them and their meter. However, issuing a blanket statement that beets are ok for anyone as part of a balanced diet is an inappropriate thing to do. Where I grew up beets were called 'sugar beets'. They were grown solely to be processed into sugar. Many foods such as beets, corn, peas, tomatoes, and many fruits were once relatively sugar free but the industrial complex deemed sweet varieties more flavorful and faster sellers. As an example corn now has more than twenty times as much sugar as it used to. I wonder why they never consider things like this when investigating the rise of diabetes. Even eating the same food as our grandparents did we're eating entirely differently. They didn't leave us many places to escape to.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Where I grew up beets were called 'sugar beets
Different variety of beets, sugar beets have a higher sugar content than the beets you get in the store.

Having been to my uncles farm who raised sugar beets and tried to eat one, I would not care to do that again. They where sweet but tasted ..not bad but not good and the texture ripped the mouth apart.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Beleve it or not I do pretty well with sweet potatoes. I hate beets so I never tested them. Whenever I eat sweet potatoes I always eat them with a good portion of protein and fat, though. It sounds like you had a veggie dinner with no protein, is that right? Also when you cook certain vegetables it may increase the carb level more than when they are raw.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Cabbage can do a real number on me, when cooked!

I would not blame anything specific, but maybe reconsider cooking technique and portion size.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Linda hit the nail on the head for me. If I cook any veggies other than ultr-low carb ones to much they tend to give me an unexpected rise. When I make chili with black beans, they are the last thing to go into the pot and I just heat them up. Onions, peppers get cooked only to the point they are soft, never brown or carmalized. Reheating left overs can be a problem as well. I reheat things only above room temp, if I recook them they tend to rise me. Its not that you are adding any more carbs, but you are reducing what carbs are there into sugar molecules.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It just reminded me of something Dr Bernstein talked about in his book. He said he had a patient that would spike on huge portions of lettuce. He explained it that when you overeat, even low carb food, that certain gut hormones are produced that then signal liver to add extra glucose. So it is important even with low carb veggies to practice portion control.

Reactions: Bugg and MCS

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a good point about the cooking method. The onions were carmelized and the cabbage well-cooked. I was a little concerned there was no protein and not enough fat, though I slathered the small bit of yam w/ butter and roasted the beet in lots of olive oil.

Portion control was fine - it was a modest plate, but in combination a brutal choice. Lesson learned, and thanks guys for your input.

My fasting is up (107), though before I went to bed I was at 102 (the Bayer Contour showed 84 which I knew was wrong!) so at least I came down.

Reactions: Shanny and foxl
1 - 12 of 12 Posts