The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1966 when I was 6 yrs. old. I ended up getting a simultaneous kidney and pancreas transplant (technically, a graft) in 1996 and have been in good shape since then. Regardless, the questions and comments regarding diabetes and its various complications are valuable to me. Despite not living with diabetes on a day to day basis, I still deal with the damage done by other complications - peripheral neuropathy, retinopathy, toe amputation, etc.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin and teach Spanish during the academic year. During the summer I teach swimming and travel a bit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hello. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1966 when I was 6 yrs. old. I ended up getting a simultaneous kidney and pancreas transplant (technically, a graft) in 1996 and have been in good shape since then. Regardless, the questions and comments regarding diabetes and its various complications are valuable to me. Despite not living with diabetes on a day to day basis, I still deal with the damage done by other complications - peripheral neuropathy, retinopathy, toe amputation, etc.

I live in Madison, Wisconsin and teach Spanish during the academic year. During the summer I teach swimming and travel a bit.
Hi and welcome to the site. It's good to have you here. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up and hopefully be able to share loads of information here.
Don't forget while traveling, to visit the national parks in Southern Utah:D.

Gene

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Great on transplant, not so great on living with some of the other possibilities we might deal with :( I will look forward to hearing your experience on some of the subjects in posts in several parts of the forum.
I have had (almost 13 years T2) fair results with my A1C mostly in the 5-6 range. Only 1 instance of a 7.1, several years back. But still notice the peripheral neuropathy esp. mornings, only to a small degree, enough to remind me....
Good to have you on the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Welcome! I'm new and still finding my way around, but so far this looks like a great site.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Welcome! I'm new and still finding my way around, but so far this looks like a great site.
Hi and welcome to the site. Jump right in and I'm sure you will get most information you need:D.

Gene...

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! We are both type 1, were diagnosed when we were 6, and we have had trouble with retinopathy and neuropathy. I never had a transplant, but my using an insulin pump for 4 years has seen my symptoms of those two complications disappear. I hope your transplants work well for you for a very long time.

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts