The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, sorry to start another thread on accuracy of meters. Just before sleeping now I did a test.

Got a 156, I said what the hell lets test again. Then I got a 171. I could not believe my eyes. Tested thrice again got readings of 121, 125 and 128.

I've noted the average as my BS reading but this variance of 50 points (between the lowest and highest) is weird !

I use a one touch ultra glucometer...

Should i chuck this meter and get a different one

Tony

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony, do you have some control solution to check its accuracy? That might help you decide. Were your hands very clean? I had to call once to get some control solution. It was free, by the way. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
I just checked with the control solution. The control solution itself has a range of 36 points between the lowest and highest value. It says 109 - 145. To save their back sides these pharma companies have given a control range of 36 points.

Anyways, The control test came out to be 133.

On washing hands
I mostly dont wash my hands. I think I should everytime. I washed my hands now and took a reading. It was 112. This is two hours post dinner. I'm happy with this number. Not going to test again
:D

Thanks

Tony

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys

Tony

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I used to use a One Touch and finally switched to Contour because I got so many variable readings and error messages. It happened on several One Touch meters. My contour seems to give me readings in a tighter range. But it will drive you crazy, if you test several times in a row.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I used to use a One Touch and finally switched to Contour because I got so many variable readings and error messages. It happened on several One Touch meters. My contour seems to give me readings in a tighter range. But it will drive you crazy, if you test several times in a row.
You have the Bayer Contour? I have the Contour and the Freestyle Lite. The Freestyle Lite runs about 14 points lower. At my doctors appt my fasting was 109 and my meter read 95! But based on my average and my A1C there was only a 5 point difference. I just got a letter from insurance company that they are only going to pay for strips for Bayer and AccuCheck meters. So I guess I will stick with Contour. Do you like it? Does it have control solution?

·
Registered
916 Posts
You have the Bayer Contour? I have the Contour and the Freestyle Lite. The Freestyle Lite runs about 14 points lower. At my doctors appt my fasting was 109 and my meter read 95! But based on my average and my A1C there was only a 5 point difference. I just got a letter from insurance company that they are only going to pay for strips for Bayer and AccuCheck meters. So I guess I will stick with Contour. Do you like it? Does it have control solution?

My insurance will only pay for One Touch & the strips. I can have 100 at a time. Huge PIA to get them too. Lifescan now ask's for a reading of my tests. I only test 3 times a day. :drama::drama:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I like the Contour USB so much better. I think it requires much smaller of a blood drop. My insurance company doesn't pay for any strips until I meet my very large deductible ($6000) so I usually opt for the meter with the cheaper and more accurate strips. With One touch I was wasting strips because of so many error messages. I buy my Contour strips on Amazon for about $42 per 100. I now never get error messages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a one touch ultra mini with code 25 strips.

i have had some wacky numbers with mine (free from doc).

Once it read 180 and i'm like no that can't be.. and i test again and it's 130 so i take any of the readings with a grain of salt.. i do double and sometimes triple test to see where the numbers stand which sadly hurts like heck :)

Some batches of test strips work fine and others don't it seems. So unless i see a number that is way off i figure i'm close within 20pts of whatever it says.. that's just me though.

I don't have insurance but use alcohol pads to wipe down then dry and test. I had some interesting numbers prior to the thorough cleanings with the pads so that's me.

I occasionally mess up on my diet and my body is slow to correct itself.

·
Registered
930 Posts
With the control solution my Bayer Contour reads 124 to 135 with newer strips and more around 135 with soon to expire strips. I get a lot of bad readings of 30 or more points high with Contour.

My AVIVA when wrong is usually very wrong so bad readings are easier to detect, like 199 when it is really 112 mg/dl.

I like the NIPRO TRUEresult/TRUEtest best because it calibrates at 32-62 (47) in the control test and is rarely more than 3 points off. Also it is much cheaper like $69 per 100 verses $130 per hundred.

Of course if you are most interested in drawing neat graphs at around 124 then the more expensive Contour is for you, but personally I am hypo-phobic so I prefer more accuracy at 47 mg/dl.

But then it usually boils down to what your insurance will cover, doesn't it?

But maybe most people can tell if they are low and just take a glucose tablet and are more worried about if their high is only 200 or so or ER time like 400 to 600+ where almost any meter will do.

ColaJim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts