The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, Shanny challenged me on a comment, I made to another member about counting carbs.

I was rather brash and bragging that being loose and not stressed was my way of doing things. I gave off the impression that it was OK to be loose when counting carbs. That is when Shanny questioned my comments, which made me go back and rethink my bad habits of guess-timating. The truth is, my guess-timating was leaving me with many sugar lows following meals, so I decided to rethink my way of doing things, pull out my 2011 carb book, and I found that in some cases, I was severely under guess-timating, and in others over guess-timating. This was one of the reasons I would have low blood sugars after meals.

I have ssince returned to count the carbs more closely, and converting the numbers into the total number of units of insulin I'd REALLY need, and I am having less low's and my BG numbers before meals are stable.

I'd also like to report that my fasting BG has been between 82 and the last five mornings.

So, I owe Shanny a GREAT BIG THANK YOU! You made me think over my complacent habits, and jerked me back into reality. :D

My word of advice to those forum members who are "winging it" :eek: , when Shanny speaks her wisdom, it is wise to listen, look inside, and re-examine your way of doing things. Experience is something we all need to draw upon, no matter how long we've had diabetes, and how wise we may think we are.:clock:

Shalom

Pastor Paul :amen:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That's a silver tongue or a silver keyboard you have, Paul. ;) All I did was ask you how you could use insulin and not count carbs. The reason I asked is because I didn't KNOW! I've only had diabetes about 2½ years and have never needed insulin, so I don't know sic 'em!

But it's great to see that it prompted you to reexamine your practices and you've improved your numbers! That's how we all need to know ourselves, our bodies & our diabetes . . . it's an ongoing struggle with much zig-zagging along the way. Thanks for the accolade, especially when you yourself did all the heavy lifting! :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You Do Know Best, Shanny!

That's a silver tongue or a silver keyboard you have, Paul. ;) All I did was ask you how you could use insulin and not count carbs. The reason I asked is because I didn't KNOW! I've only had diabetes about 2½ years and have never needed insulin, so I don't know sic 'em!

But it's great to see that it prompted you to reexamine your practices and you've improved your numbers! That's how we all need to know ourselves, our bodies & our diabetes . . . it's an ongoing struggle with much zig-zagging along the way. Thanks for the accolade, especially when you yourself did all the heavy lifting! :D
I am blessed that you called me on my comments! So, you deserve the credit for getting me back on track!

I don't know you, but, you seem like a special, caring person. It is my prayer you NEVER have to use insulin. I started out like you. Meds, diet and exercise. And I kept myself tight, however, it seems that the need for insulin caught up with me!

Again, thank you for being such a caring person. You helped me to get back on track, and I'm doing 101% better because of your question. You keep "calling people on the carpet" when you think it's needed, because that is what ALL of us need from time to time! Who knows, maybe one day I'll have to "call you on something?" #:>)

O

·
0 Posts
hahaha.... well I listen and I hear ya. Shanny you're a gem :) I can get carried away myself with blabbing about my experiences here.... I've had the D thing for over 12 years now but the insulin bit is still relatively new. The thing with me is that I got told if I'm eating vegies I have to eat more carb vegies... now I swear I had half a plate full almost and I still manage to get hypos from it. I'm a little weary of the carb vegies now. I still haven't figured out what is impacting my BGLs... I reckon it's my stomach that is just not functioning right (and still under investigation). Urggghhh... not enjoying all these tests that are ongoing. Feeling very much a guinea pig at the moment. Now my insulin dosage was reduced recently (both basal and bolus)... guess what... I'm getting hypos again! go figure... like I know!... the docs don't seem to know either at the moment... so that makes a few of us. It's pretty complex getting balanced and just when you think you have it... it doesn't work again.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yes, this is a humbling disease, and we need all the support -- even in the form of reality checks -- that we can get!

That is what makes this forum powerful and great -- subtle nudges can save our lives.

And yes, Shanny ROCKS! :amen:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're all really too kind . . . y'know I'd be a wretched old woman if I hadn't gained some small degree of horse sense in all my years of stumbling around in life . . . I just do the best I can - same as all of you! What I AM, is blessed to have friends like you!

O

·
0 Posts
You're all really too kind . . . y'know I'd be a wretched old woman if I hadn't gained some small degree of horse sense in all my years of stumbling around in life . . . I just do the best I can - same as all of you! What I AM, is blessed to have friends like you!
you're welcome Shanny....:D you're like our virtual Nan/Mum/Sister (whichever applies depending on ages) because you're good at getting us to think. We're blessed having you too.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Shanny is indeed the backbone of the Diabetes Forum website!! :) I had kinda burned out as an advisor and supporter here when Shanny joined us. I needed a break and she has done a wonderful job, much better than me! ;). Now I just sit back and watch Diabetes Forum grow, with Granny Shanny at the helm. It will be smooth sailing as long as you are with us, Shanny! Keep up the good work!! :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richard, Get Back to Where You Once Belonged!

Shanny is indeed the backbone of the Diabetes Forum website!! :) I had kinda burned out as an advisor and supporter here when Shanny joined us. I needed a break and she has done a wonderful job, much better than me! ;). Now I just sit back and watch Diabetes Forum grow, with Granny Shanny at the helm. It will be smooth sailing as long as you are with us, Shanny! Keep up the good work!! :)
We'd love to have you back in a more active roll too. So get re-energized and return to us soon! :ranger:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Paul, I am here and make a few posts every day. There are some diabetes sites where I am much more needed than here. There is a very good group of regulars here who do a great job with support and advisement.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's Great to Hear!

Paul, I am here and make a few posts every day. There are some diabetes sites where I am much more needed than here. There is a very good group of regulars here who do a great job with support and advisement.
I thought that was you on another forum. I was just giving you a hard time! But, I really do miss your posts. They are very indepth, warm, and encouraging. So don't ever stop being Richard! You are needed on this and other forum's.

Paul :amen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts