The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was waiting in the checkout line at Meijer today. Noticed a "diabetic Christmas cookie book" there amongst the tabloids. Leafed through it a bit. Found this:

Sounds delicious, but please, just what part of that recipe would be the part that's "low carb" or "appropriate for diabetics"? Oats, light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar....

Naw, that won't spike ANYONE's blood sugar... :rolleyes:

Reactions: optimist and foxl

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
So I was waiting in the checkout line at Meijer today. Noticed a "diabetic Christmas cookie book" there amongst the tabloids. Leafed through it a bit. Found this:

Sounds delicious, but please, just what part of that recipe would be the part that's "low carb" or "appropriate for diabetics"? Oats, light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar....

Naw, that won't spike ANYONE's blood sugar... :rolleyes:
That is totally low carb! Look! It has salt! :rolleyes: :frusty:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Was there any nutritional facts given at the end of the recipe? I know what it would do to my BG - and then I would not be happy :(

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Lolololol !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was there any nutritional facts given at the end of the recipe? I know what it would do to my BG - and then I would not be happy :(
There were, but it was time to check out, so I didn't take a pic of the chart. I'll be back there in a day or two and I'll look again.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There were, but it was time to check out, so I didn't take a pic of the chart. I'll be back there in a day or two and I'll look again.
Be careful or they will 'ban' you from the store for not buying the recipe book :) To me it is amazing what publishers will do just to sell another magazine or recipe book.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And the sad part is, they ARE kidding a lot of people, who then can't understand why they're outta control when they've been going strictly by the rules of the diabetic cookbook!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I forgot what company was the publisher, but today when OH and I were doing errands, I saw a cookbook that had a beautiful glossy cover with luscious looking foods. Title of the book was "Diabetic Breakfast and Brunches". Oh......and one of the items on the front cover was a big, ole' fat cinnamon roll just dripping with icing :( :( Wonder how they made a cinnamon roll - low carb???

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since coming here to this forum, I have gotten so much great information, that when I pick something up, I read it before I buy it now. I am still amazed at how many so called "diabetic" items would really put my sugar of the map.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In my first few months of Diabetes when I didn't know better, before I met you guys, I did buy some of those Diabetic cookbooks. They always had a picture of a luscious dessert on the cover. I thought this disease won't be so bad if I can still eat pizza, chocolate cake, pie, cookies and potatoes. The other trick they do is they list exchanges not carbs. So they may have a big 2 or 3 next to the recipe and in microscopic pring the word exchanges. So intead of 3 carbs it is 45 carbs. Also the serving size is very small, not very realistic. Luckily I now know what ingredients I can't have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Strawberry said:
I forgot what company was the publisher, but today when OH and I were doing errands, I saw a cookbook that had a beautiful glossy cover with luscious looking foods. Title of the book was "Diabetic Breakfast and Brunches". Oh......and one of the items on the front cover was a big, ole' fat cinnamon roll just dripping with icing :( :( Wonder how they made a cinnamon roll - low carb???
its a "soy" cinnamon roll...lol
just kidding

·
Registered
206 Posts
Years ago I too fell into that trap of 'diabetic cookbooks' :shocked:

For many, diabetic = less SUGAR. Now 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of granulated sugar is less sugar than most home made cookie recipes I've tried over the years...

But it's not just about sugar. Glucose. Fructose. Whatever the name you give it! It's all about carbs. Now someone who doesn't know about carbs... they'll fall into that trap!

And yes I got rid of those 'diabetic cookbooks' :D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I`ve given up to try to tell anyone at the hospital why I live low-carb.
If I get a low (which of course happens sometimes) they yell at me and tell me I have to eat more carbohydrates:eek:
My answer is "I rather prefer to lower my insulin"
And they dont know why I would do that.

When I got diabetes I bought 2 books with recipes from the norwegian diabetes society.
A couple of days ago I looked in them, thinkin I maybe could get some inspiration for making christmas cookies.
One of the reciepe is how to make gingerbread. Each little cookie would be 4,2 carbo :eek: and thats good for people with diabetes???
I looked on the box with really cheap gingerbread we bought in the shop, and each gingerbread in that box is 3,9.
The diabetes society tells us to make a gingerbread with more carbo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/3 cup of granulated sugar is less sugar than most home made cookie recipes I've tried over the years...
Absolutely true. So this is a recipe that non-diabetics might find not sweet enough, and diabetics would have major carb issues with. "Presenting...the cookie nobody wants!" :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts