The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr's . Office left a message on my answering machine on Thursday while I was at work,because she knew I was scheduled for my flu shot Saturday morning. She said it was important and that she needed to speak to me at the time of my flu shot.
I had gone for a urine culture 1 week ago when I thought I had seen BLOOD in my urine. Now, I was scared.!!!
Went in today and she tells me nope No Blood but ALOT of glucose spilling from kidney's into my urine!! The number was 23!! Not sure what that means but she said TAKE MORE INSULIN!!! I said my BG is below 7 most of the time and that I had taken the urine test after my lunch. She said it DOESN'T matter!!! I told her that If I took more insulin I'd gain MORE weight and may go Hypo.What about 30 grams of carb per day.6/12/12 as per Dr.B's diet?? She said that should be oKAY. NOW, I AM SCARED to death. What am I to do? I have already gone from 142lbs to 170lbs since starting insulin last October. Afraid I'll Gain too much and go hypo!!!

·
Banned
158 Posts
Dr's . Office left a message on my answering machine on Thursday while I was at work,because she knew I was scheduled for my flu shot Saturday morning. She said it was important and that she needed to speak to me at the time of my flu shot.
I had gone for a urine culture 1 week ago when I thought I had seen BLOOD in my urine. Now, I was scared.!!!
Went in today and she tells me nope No Blood but ALOT of glucose spilling from kidney's into my urine!! The number was 23!! Not sure what that means but she said TAKE MORE INSULIN!!! I said my BG is below 7 most of the time and that I had taken the urine test after my lunch. She said it DOESN'T matter!!! I told her that If I took more insulin I'd gain MORE weight and may go Hypo.What about 30 grams of carb per day.6/12/12 as per Dr.B's diet?? She said that should be oKAY. NOW, I AM SCARED to death. What am I to do? I have already gone from 142lbs to 170lbs since starting insulin last October. Afraid I'll Gain too much and go hypo!!!
First of all, I want to say that it sounds like you have a wonderful Doc. My urine test in April showed I had 1,000 Glucose, blood, protein, and ketones of 40, plus lots of white blood cells indicating a major urinary tract infection. My Doctor did NOTHING, so I assumed it was all okay. I had another urine test in August and fortunately I saw the Nurse Practitioner at that appt. because she was ALARMED, started me on an Anti-biotic and referred me on to an Endo Doc after also noticing that my Ha1c's had been in the 10-12 range for the past 3 years and my Doc was not treating me with anything for it - except cinnamon and alpha lipoic acid.

Anyway, I say this only so you won't be too scared of a "23." Believe me - it could be much worse.

Are you sure the weight gain is true weight and not fluid? I gained 18 lbs in my first 18 days on Insulin, but it all came off in 3 days after I started taking a "water pill." You might need this as well.

I follow the LC/HF and have not gained any weight on the Insulin, but I am actually losing weight. And, I take quite a lot of Insulin as you can see from my signature.

If you test at least 4 times a day and two hours after eating, you won't have to worry about going too hypo. You will get symptoms when you get below 70 (which is hypo) so your body will let you know. Then, just pop a glucose tablet and re-test to make sure you BG is going back up. The glucose tablets are the fastest way to get your BGs back up instead of using carbs. The carbs have to be converted into glucose which can take too much time when you're on a rapid decline. So, stick with the glucose tablets. Just one at a time until it starts to go back up.

So, I would follow my Doctor's orders. She sounds like she's on the right track.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Pands - perhaps you've posted this elsewhere, but what insulin(s) are you using and in what amounts? Also, what does your diet look like?

Diabetes is certainly frustrating sometimes, isn't it?

Jen

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks MsTCB and Jen for responding soo swiftly to my posts.A short history....2008 dx'd Type 2. Many different meds but none seemed to work. Lost 25 pounds because I was afraid to eat!!! 2 yrs and MANY UTI's later( 2010)I started LC'ing but did NOT gain nor lost weight. I was dx'd with T1.5. Meds plus 1 insulin shot before bed...levemir and still BG not very well controlled. Then last October peptide C test confirmed Type 1. Since then 4 shots per day. Apidra and levemir . Not low carbing and NOT counting carbs. Gained upwards of 30 pounds . I am to start LC/HF on Monday. Not sure but do I take glucotabs with me to work. I am a teacher and usually have pockets filled with fruit, juice, yogourt, etc just in case?? I want to do this right so I intend to be prepared. Thanks for the support!! Trust me I will NEED all the advise you all can give me.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Thanks MsTCB and Jen for responding soo swiftly to my posts.A short history....2008 dx'd Type 2. Many different meds but none seemed to work. Lost 25 pounds because I was afraid to eat!!! 2 yrs and MANY UTI's later( 2010)I started LC'ing but did NOT gain nor lost weight. I was dx'd with T1.5. Meds plus 1 insulin shot before bed...levemir and still BG not very well controlled. Then last October peptide C test confirmed Type 1. Since then 4 shots per day. Apidra and levemir . Not low carbing and NOT counting carbs. Gained upwards of 30 pounds . I am to start LC/HF on Monday. Not sure but do I take glucotabs with me to work. I am a teacher and usually have pockets filled with fruit, juice, yogourt, etc just in case?? I want to do this right so I intend to be prepared. Thanks for the support!! Trust me I will NEED all the advise you all can give me.
After the first 4 days or so, I think you'll really like the LC/HF diet.

What is your teaching schedule?
Do you have a planning period?
How many hours of classes do you have back-to-back?

Especially at first until you get into a regular routine and know how your body is going to respond to lower carbs and Insulin, I would suggest testing during all your breaks and wouldn't go any longer than a 2-hour back-to-back teaching session without testing.

I know the last thing you want is to have to deal with a hypo right in the middle of teaching session. With some planning and testing, I think you can "tweak" your food and meds so that you can take the worry out of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the first 4 days or so, I think you'll really like the LC/HF diet.

What is your teaching schedule?
Do you have a planning period?
How many hours of classes do you have back-to-back?

Especially at first until you get into a regular routine and know how your body is going to respond to lower carbs and Insulin, I would suggest testing during all your breaks and wouldn't go any longer than a 2-hour back-to-back teaching session without testing.

I know the last thing you want is to have to deal with a hypo right in the middle of teaching session. With some planning and testing, I think you can "tweak" your food and meds so that you can take the worry out of it.
Teach everyday. Grade 6. I presently have a student teacher so that should make break time every 2 hrs available to me.I have had many lows while teaching and have always kept a candy, carrots or a yogurt on my desk. I am a bit nervous ,to say the least!!!
With LC/HF Do I need snacks on hand and what??...besides GluTabs??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that did not jive with your numbers, request a re-test!!!!

I think your BG has to be over 250 or something to get blood in your urine.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycosuria

A urine dipstick can show a false-positive glucosuria if someone is taking Pyridium or AZO Standard, medications that relieve symptoms of urinary tract infection.
So ... were you?
No...I DON'T take pyridium or AZO standard. ( Although I don't know what either of these drugs are.)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No...I DON'T take pyridium or AZO standard. ( Although I don't know what either of these drugs are.)
I think they were mentioned because you spoke of having many UTIs in the past. These are the drugs used to treat those urinary/bladder infections - at least they were when I would get them years ago.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Teach everyday. Grade 6. I presently have a student teacher so that should make break time every 2 hrs available to me.I have had many lows while teaching and have always kept a candy, carrots or a yogurt on my desk. I am a bit nervous ,to say the least!!!
When you're on the LC/HF diet, you'll want to ditch those high-carb snacks you mentioned. The best thing to do is to PREVENT the lows by eating your protein & fat meals and snacks on a regular basis - every 2-3 hours. If you look at the Recipe section (or maybe in the Diet and Nutrition section) there is a great thread that lists low-carb snacks. It's a long list, so you'll surely find things on there that you like.

Glad you are able to test regularly. I would test before eating and 2 hour after eating for a while until you learn how your body is responding to the new way of eating and the Insulin. By watching BGs like this, you won't go so hypo that you can't fix it. But, like I said, it's best to keep your BGs stable and in the normal range by eating the LC/HF meals and snacks on a regular basis. For ex. A snack for me might be a 1 oz of thinly sliced ham with a thin layer of cream cheese rolled up and maybe 4-5 Olives. A meal might be 3 oz of tuna salad made with real mayo and eggs. They don't have to be big meals and snacks to keep your BGs stable and normal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
With your history of many lows, I think keeping glucose tabs on hand is a good idea at all times - in the classroom where you can't just get up & leave, as well as anywhere else you may be. The other snacks may be less important if you always have a good supply of glucose tabs in your pocket.

·
Banned
158 Posts
With your history of many lows, I think keeping glucose tabs on hand is a good idea at all times - in the classroom where you can't just get up & leave, as well as anywhere else you may be. The other snacks may be less important if you always have a good supply of glucose tabs in your pocket.
Teachers are not actually as tied down as you might think, Shanny. :)

Anyway... Pands, you don't want to have to take those glucose tablets on a regular basis in lieu of snacks! :eek: For one thing, they are expensive and furthermore, they lack the nutrition of good snacks. It is important to snack and eat your meals on a regular basis so that you can prevent the need for the glucose tablets. Think of them as your last resort, safety net.

Do you have a small frig in your classroom? If not, perhaps you can just pack a small cooler with some cheese slices, some ham slices rolled up, and Sugar-Free Jello Gelatin. You can also keep canned nuts and a jar of peanut butter in your desk drawer.

It's great that you have a Student Teacher this semester, but, just in case you haven't thought about this, I wanted to suggest that you teach at least 2-3 students how to use your class telephone to contact the office for medical assistance. Educate them about your Diabetes so that they won't be alarmed if you should faint. Don't think you'll need this, but it's always good to be prepared.

BTW, I'm a fellow Educator. :) Just finished my Rank 1 (30 graduate hours above a masters degree) and I'm currently working on my 2nd masters degree. I'm currently taking a break from teaching (and working), but I'm licensed to teach Mathematics, Social Studies, Computer Science, Business and Special Education. Don't you just LOVE teaching. :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I agree with Shanny, when you have a hypo, you need ASAP relief -- because hypos are soooo uncomfortable.

My husband just bought me tabs in a tube -- so they do not bust up and mess up the dosage.

I try to use only 1 at a time, and wait -- but waiting can be hard! You also will need to TEST each time you take them, though -- can you do it in a room full of rowdy 6th graders? Is there a table or desk with a modesty panel so you can test without them seeing?

Low-carbing will help keep your insulin dose low, which will help prevent the more extreme and frequent lows, anyhow.

I, too have LADA, but I suspected it early and requested testing. It is helping me ease slowly into insulin use before my insulin production gets too low -- which of course is STILL no picnic.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Treatment causes weight loss and other benifits

Panda,
I am not sure if they had this treatment in Canada, yet. It is called Pulsatile IV INsulin Therapy. I started because of loss of kidney function and other complications. However, I have gone from 163 to 128, in eight months. I was not trying to loose weight. It is a happy side effect of the treatment. Nueropathy is better. Renal function is better! Google it, it has many names, CAT,MAT, CIIT, PIT, PIVIT, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Much information...Thank you all !!
Okay so in response to All your questions...yes, I have glucotabs and glucogel. It is VERY expensive here! I do NOT have a fridge in my classroom but do store my lunch bag in the teachers lounge fridge. I can NOT snack on nuts or peanut butter in school. We are a NUT free ( questionable statement considering some of the people who are given teaching degrees LOL!!!) environment. Too many students who are allergic to nuts and nut products can cause anilphylactic shock for some.Yes, I LOVE teaching!!!No, hidden areas in the class for where I could tes, except the washroom. I Have already spoken to the kids about my Diabetes and used it to introduce a unit on healthy living. The Principal will NOT let me have them call down to office in the event of am emergency. Has to do with some kind of LEGAL regulations. They have to run across hall to the other grade 6 teacher. Ridiculous I know....BUT those are the rules!! I thought sugar free ready made jello was a NO/NO because it had a thickener. Maltdextrin?

·
Banned
67 Posts
Teaching diabetic

Much information...Thank you all !!
Okay so in response to All your questions...yes, I have glucotabs and glucogel. It is VERY expensive here! I do NOT have a fridge in my classroom but do store my lunch bag in the teachers lounge fridge. I can NOT snack on nuts or peanut butter in school. We are a NUT free ( questionable statement considering some of the people who are given teaching degrees LOL!!!) environment. Too many students who are allergic to nuts and nut products can cause anilphylactic shock for some.Yes, I LOVE teaching!!!No, hidden areas in the class for where I could tes, except the washroom. I Have already spoken to the kids about my Diabetes and used it to introduce a unit on healthy living. The Principal will NOT let me have them call down to office in the event of am emergency. Has to do with some kind of LEGAL regulations. They have to run across hall to the other grade 6 teacher. Ridiculous I know....BUT those are the rules!! I thought sugar free ready made jello was a NO/NO because it had a thickener. Maltdextrin?
Panda,
I taught in public school, 6th grade in PA, USA, until diabetes took me down. I got similar treatment. I tested at the sink in my room, while the kids were at lunch. They would not let me do that, ok, the ladies room, nope not there either, the lav in the nurses office, maybe.
Long L shaped building, two floors, the nurses office was at the other end. I only had 20 minutes for lunch, to begin with. You guessed it, there was always a sick child in the one bathroom, in the nurses office. I started teaching at 7:35 am. Could not leave the building until
4 pm. Sometimes, at 4 I would go out to my car as if I was leaving, and just test in the car. That's a little tough in Feb. That was a few years ago.
I do not know much about Canada, but they are discriminating against you. You have health requirements. I was a single mom, and bringing home the bacon came first. Put you health first. My grandchildren are small. My kidneys were about to give out. I found a clinical trial for Pulsatile IV Insulin Therapy, which has helped a lot.
My daughter is dx T2, she is a career woman. I sat her down and told her she had to put her health FIRST.
God bless

1 - 16 of 16 Posts