The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Senior Moment
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start a conversation just for grins on what foods or beverages you really like that cause a minimal rise in blood sugar levels. Of course this varies by the individual, but I am curious about what you found by trial and error, as I might try some of your favorites. There are no wrong answers in this thread, it is based solely upon your personal experience.

I will start with Greek style yogurt mixed with all kinds of nuts. Easy to prepare, custard-like spoon treat with pleasant crunch. How about you?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I will say that I really like to take a no-carb yogurt (usually vanilla) and add some nuts to it.
I love cheese, nuts, beef sticks, etc. and these don't raise my BG.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I tend to base my meals around meat, fish, dairy and eggs to eat accompanied by a wide variety of vegetables.

Cheese to follow - or, alternatively, low-fat yoghurt.

Fruit and nuts for snacks - also pickled vegetables

Red wine and sparkling water to drink.

Basically, that's the method of eating that I've adopted whether I'm eating at home or in English, Indian, Chinese, Italian, Spanish or whatever type of restaurant or pub.

Adopting that way of eating seems to have done me no harm whatsoever and seems to have sorted out my non-insulin Type 2 condition. After ten years of being diabetic, I have got off my metformin medication and I'm having no difficulty whatsoever in keeping my blood glucose levels below 7.8 (140) almost all of the time.

Basically, my body is reacting as though I've been cured. Whether this will stay the same forever then only time will tell.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I dearly love my eggs & bacon/sausage. I dearly love a slab of medium-rare prime rib. I didn't discover these by trial & error - I already know they contain no carbohydrate, but I love them anyway. :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just love bacon and eggs. Can't leave out string cheese! :hungry:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My favorite low carb snack that I am absolutely addicted to? Blue Diamond habanero bbq almonds...omg.....drool....

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Avacados will send my bg much lower. Also anything with coconut oil or flaxseed will send my bg down.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My favorite low carb snack that I am absolutely addicted to? Blue Diamond habanero bbq almonds...omg.....drool....
Those don't raise your BG? I'm surprised... I would think something with sugar, molasses, cane refinery syrup and maltodextrin would shoot mine through the roof.

Or is there just so few of it they don't affect you?

Then again, knowing my love for that kind of snack food, I would worry if I ate one of those I'd eat the entire jar...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hmm ? So many choices...
Pretty much any raw fruit or vegetable.
Like black olives, a pepper salad (red bell, orange bell, jalapeno, poblano, cubanelle, etc.. all chopped up and served with a zero carb dressing.), walnuts, raspberries, avocados with cinnamon, etc ...

·
Registered
299 Posts
I love the Blue Diamond Smokehouse almonds. I love them so much that when I open the bag I immediately fill 8 little containers so I can limit myself to one two-ounce serving per day.

My new favorite is either 1/2 cup Carb Smart ice cream, or homemade whipped cream either one mixed with 1/4 cup of raspberries (bought frozen no sugar added) thawed and smashed up with a bit of sweetener.

Reactions: smorgan

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hold on . . . back up here a minute . . . avocado with cinnamon? Sounds interesting & I won't knock it 'til I've tried it. Thanks ET! :D

Hmm ? So many choices...
Pretty much any raw fruit or vegetable.
Like black olives, a pepper salad (red bell, orange bell, jalapeno, poblano, cubanelle, etc.. all chopped up and served with a zero carb dressing.), walnuts, raspberries, avocados with cinnamon, etc ...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Those don't raise your BG? I'm surprised... I would think something with sugar, molasses, cane refinery syrup and maltodextrin would shoot mine through the roof.

Or is there just so few of it they don't affect you?

Then again, knowing my love for that kind of snack food, I would worry if I ate one of those I'd eat the entire jar...
not at all...one ounce of nuts is only 5 gm of carb. maybe if I ate the whole can...which..they are pretty good...I probably could :D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Mmmm avos con cinnamon ... must try!

I am on a jag of flax foccacia / pizza cravings! I made the foccacia for the first time last weekend -- don't ask me WHY not before, I have had the recipe FOREVER ... and loved it! I seasoned the batter with 1/4 tsp each basil and oregano, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and sprinkled with lots and LOTS of Italian fresh-grated (ie bag not jar) cheese ... it was wonderful! I was hard-pressed to divide the batch into 3 servings!

Flax Bread Recipe - Low-Carb Focaccia-Style Flax Bread

·
Registered
67 Posts
BBQ ribs or pulled pork with sauce

I make BBQ pulled pork and ribs, then use Smithfields BBQ sauce without guilt. It's vinegar and red pepper based, from North Carolina. Perfectly tangy, not really spicy, no carbs, and keeps forever. We buy a gallon at a time.
I put some homemade rub on the meat and cook at 250 for 10 hours (pork shoulder) or 3-4 hours (ribs). then I mop sauce on the ribs and finish on the grill. Easy and foolproof. :D

Gallon of Sauce - $19.99 : Smithfield's Chicken 'n Bar-B-Q, Order BBQ Online - BBQ Shipped Nationwide

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
For me, it must be lots of ground salt and lemon or lime juice. Eat 'em with a fork! My wife prepares them with sugar and chills like ice cream but I can't stand them that way.

I tried 'em tonight & it's good for a change, though I still need a pinch of salt with it. I tried several bites with cinnamon alone, but hadda reach for the salt shaker. :p

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The food I eat doesn`t make my BG react much at all.
During my 1.year with diabetes I`ve tested out lots of different food and lots of different combinations. Learned a lot and did really had sore fingers while learning whar my body accept and what it doesn`t.
I balance my food by using fat and slow carbohydrates together with food that eaten alone makes my BG rise as a rocket.
For example; if I want to eat porridge, I know that my limit for sugar on this is 1 teaspoon, if I also want to have 9 raisins. I can eat this without taking any insulin before the meal, and my BG will raise only about 0,2-0,3.
If I eat a smaller amount of porridge one day and the same amount sugar and raisins, my BG will rise about 1,5 to 3,0 up.
And if I take just one more raisin, my BG will really give me an peak, no matter if I eat twice as much porridge.
I doesnt worry if my diabetes will stop me eating various and good food, I just have to find which combinations suits my body best.

I think we all are different, and what makes my BG stay rocksteady, can make someone elses BG go skyhigh or even drop low.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I love MEAT! So ribeye, bacon, pulled pork, ribs, pot roast, prime rib, etc are my absolute favorites. In the non-meat category I'd add full fat greek yogurt with heavy cream and sweetener (it's 90% fat the way I make it!) and then milk chocolates made out of cocoa powder, coconut oil and sweetener.

Basically this fatty loves fat! :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts