The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is not the exception. Untreated or poorly controlled diabetes, whether type 1 or type 2, leads to ruined kidneys, blindness and amputation just for starters. These are what is euphemistically called "complications", which makes it sound not so horrible. It IS horrible, and people need to know it's horrible, and get tested. If they're running high, they need to treat, and keep treating to keep the numbers within safe range. (studies show that frequent and/or prolonged glucose levels above 140 begin to cause organ damage.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is amazing that they didn't do anything with Type 1's or Type 1.5's and the amount of mis-diagnosis by the medical community that happens.

Just 5 minutes talking about how to treat a diabetic would have been helpful. I am sick of it "you ate the wrong foods" or your mother didnt feed you right that is why you have it."
:mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find Dr Oz, and that other joker, Bob Greene, both too showman-ish, and lacking in professionalism.

Oprah herself has repeatedly failed on Bob's diet, but both have definitely made millions in profits from their malpractice.

And Dr Oz, he is just a disgrace to the profession, what with his catchy 3-second phrases, too many of them poor generalisations.

Example, apparently he glibly stated that if you stay off white foods, then you can avoid diabetes. What about chicken, and turnips!? Or DT1's?

In my not so humble opinion, 200 years ago these people would have made good snake oil merchants.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have read the discussions about this topic on several diabetes sites. 99% of the replies are the same kind of critiques as have been given here. "Ozzie" is a better actor and crowd pleaser than he is a doctor. Scare tatics were used to convince the audience and viewers to be serious about diabetes. That probably worked very well with many people, and to that extent it was a helpful TV show. I did very much object to his saying there are 80 million diabetics in the USA. The number released in 2009 was 24 million, and that included an estimated 5+ million undiagnosed. There were many other misleading and false statements as well. As long as Oprah sopports Oz he will continue to be an American "hero" in the eyes of millions of viewers. What a shame!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am sorry that I did not watch the video before I jumped in and answered.

Hi jswede, I did watch the video. In this case, I felt that Dr. Oz was very kind.
Now, that her leg has been amputated, she is undergoing diaslyis. There is no cure for diabetes. It can happen to anyone.

I had a friend who took care of his Diabetes and he still had his leg amputated, went through Diasylis and then died. That is why exercise is so important. Our blood goes down to our legs and then has trouble circulating back up.

I really only do watch the TV news. I do not watch Oprah at all. I do not like her shows in general.

Ruth

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have read the discussions about this topic on several diabetes sites. 99% of the replies are the same kind of critiques as have been given here. "Ozzie" is a better actor and crowd pleaser than he is a doctor. Scare tatics were used to convince the audience and viewers to be serious about diabetes. That probably worked very well with many people, and to that extent it was a helpful TV show. I did very much object to his saying there are 80 million diabetics in the USA. The number released in 2009 was 24 million, and that included an estimated 5+ million undiagnosed. There were many other misleading and false statements as well. As long as Oprah sopports Oz he will continue to be an American "hero" in the eyes of millions of viewers. What a shame!!!
That's a pity. In Australia I am sure the AMA [Australian Medical Association] would come down real hard on such opportunistic unprofessional charlatanism. But I am not an authority on the subject. Additionally the various government authorities would probably yank the TV programs licence.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do not watch Oprah at all. I mainly watch the news on TV and that is it. This is the first I have heard about Dr. Oz.

Sensationalism does not help raise awareness for Diabetes, at all.

I read about someone more serious about Diabetes. She is one of the Justices of the Supreme Court. She is Sonia Sotomayor.

Sonia has type 1 diabetes since she was age 8. She was inspired to go into a legal career and decided to become a judge when she was wathching the Perry Mason TV series. I am sorry, I did not write more about her.

Sonia Sotomayor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She put stress on education.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do not watch Oprah at all. I mainly watch the news on TV and that is it. This is the first I have heard about Dr. Oz.

Sensationalism does not help raise awareness for Diabetes, at all.

I read about someone more serious about Diabetes. She is one of the Justices of the Supreme Court. She is Sonia Sotomayor.

Sonia has type 1 diabetes since she was age 8. She was inspired to go into a legal career and decided to become a judge when she was wathching the Perry Mason TV series. I am sorry, I did not write more about her.

Sonia Sotomayor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She put stress on education.
I don't know much about US Law, or Judge Sotomayor, but from what I have read she seems to be a fair judge often supported by a republican D'Amato (?), and of course nominated by Clinton and Barack. In her Princeton yearbook photo she looks like a clever and witty woman.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi, I dd not do as much research as I usually do. Just press on the link and you can learn everything about her.

I know we should not change the subject on a thread. I just wanted to put someone more positive that has Diabetes.

Ruth

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I dd not do as much research as I usually do. Just press on the link and you can learn everything about her.
Ruth
Oh I did. That's where I saw her Princeton pic! And you think I know about Senator D'Amato from over here? No way. It's all written on that link you provided. Thank you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Oprah and Dr. Oz should have interviews with real people with diabetes I found 3 who give interviews. I am sure there are more.
Mary Tyler Moore has type 1 diabetes. She has talked about it on CNN's Larry King. She serves as the International Chairman of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.
Elliot Yamin gives interviews.
Larry King on CNN talks about his diabetes.

Slideshow: Celebrities With Diabetes ? Nick Jonas, Halle Berry, and More

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thanks Ruth, this is a good post. I agree with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts