The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start grating up all those zukes your [North American ;)] garden is setting on so generously! :D

Zucchini Fritters with cheese & onion

2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
splash of tabasco
dash of pepper
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. butter*
2 tbsp. oil*
(*or bacon drippings is good)

Make batter by mixing together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, tabasco & pepper.

Fold in zucchini, onion & cheese - batter will be a little stiff - let it set 5 minutes to soften.

Heat butter and oil (or bacon drippings) in skillet; use about 2 tbsp. batter per fritter, dropping into skillet and browning 2-3 minutes on each side, until deep golden and crisp around the edges. I get about 15 fritters per recipe - prob'ly use closer to 3 tbsp. batter per fritter.

Drain on paper towels & serve hot.

Now my everlovin' loves these with maple syrup . . . me - not so much. I'll take my cheese/onion/tabasco plain, thank you. :spider:

serving size = 3 fritters (118g)
calories per serving: 214
calories from fat: 138
total fat: 15g
saturated fat: 8g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 124mg
sodium: 468mg
total carbs: 9g
dietary fiber: 1g
sugars: 1g
protein: 10g
vitamin A: 11%
vitamin C: 17%
calcium: 22%
iron: 7%

If you'd rather have your fritters without cheese, here's another version, but it has sugar added: :( Zucchini Fritters

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Throw a handful of whole flax seeds into the batter . . . :D

Today I got 21 fritters per batch . . . which dropped the calories to 168 and carbs to 7g

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
This sounds yummy! If I ever get another day off work and my homework all caught up I will have to try it!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
They sound LOVELY!!! In my house, believe it or not, zucchini are sacrosanct and must be STEAMED ... or someone else GETS steamed! Ridiculous, especially as I am searching for a felafel substitute ... :yuck:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Zucchini fritters are delicious! I made a batch using a similar recipe not long ago. I used buckwheat flour in mine. YUM!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buckwheat flour is a good idea . . . I've used it in other things because it has more resistant starch - dunno why I didn't think about it for this. Thanks Cathyy!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for posting this recipe. My Auntie used to make something similar many years ago and never wrote down a recipe. I always loved hers and hopefully when I try this recipe, mine might taste half as good as hers did.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for reminding me about these..love them...and zucchini are plentiful here right now. Where in missouri are you Shanny. My husband and I are both from there...I grew up near lake of the ozarks

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for reminding me about these..love them...and zucchini are plentiful here right now. Where in missouri are you Shanny. My husband and I are both from there...I grew up near lake of the ozarks
We're east of LOTO about 40 miles, out in the country on the Gasconade River. I bet you had a terrific childhood, Mindy . . . it's beautiful around here.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Lol...Where I grew up is between you and the lake.. Ever heard of Iberia? Yes, it is beautiful there...I would move back if the summers weren't so hot. I gotten use to living in the north where the summers are mild

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I made some GREAT Zucchini fritters this weekend -- almost forgot to post about them!

First, I was experimenting with my julienne thingy (cheapy bought online) that makes "angel hair" zucchini (actually, it reminded me of Indian sevvya noodles, more anything). And I will need to do more experimenting, about 3/4 got angel-haired, the rest was in lumps and mush. Be that as it may, tasty lumps and mush ...

So I mixed the result with eggs and madras curry powder, and fried it up in EV coconut oil. The fineness of the zucch made for a lovely fritter texture and the coconut oil made it smell divine!

I served these with a jar of mint chutney, from the Indian grocery ... everyone loved them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts